When undergoing fertility treatments, most people feel a vast range of emotions, from frustrated and sad one day to hopeful and positive the next. These fluctuations are normal, but can cause added stress for a couple. We can offer you the emotional support that is so vital on your journey. We will be with you through the highs and the lows of coping with infertility, ultimately celebrating the most wonderful emotion of all: the joy of having a baby.
Acknowledge Your Feelings
Being aware of your feelings and acknowledging them as they arise is important to your well-being. Here are some steps that you can take to give yourself the space you need to process your emotions.
- Put an emphasis on your well-being. Focus on yourself.
- Use healthy stress-reduction techniques that have worked for you previously. Reading, movie days, meditation, journaling, hiking or napping are all great strategies that can put your mind at ease.
- Stay close to family and friends. When you need a sympathetic ear or a celebration, they will be there for you.
Allow yourself to really feel, without judgment. This may be difficult at first, but acceptance will help in managing any emotions that come your way.
Communication Is Key
Communication is so important during this time, and paradoxically also so likely to suffer. Even the strongest relationships and friendships can be tested due to the emotions that arise. Free and open communication can help. Always remember that you are in control of how much information you share, and with whom. This is your experience–who you share with and what you share is your decision.
At Your Side
Our experienced fertility counselors are here to support you in several ways, including helping you to:
- Cope with the stress of treatment.
- Improve communication and relationships.
- Learn more about procedures.
- Work through tough decisions.
- Get referrals to appropriate resources.
- Simply be heard by a caring, understanding person.
We are here for you to help ease you through your transition to parenthood and dealing with infertility. We encourage all of our patients to take advantage of this support, and offer three free counseling sessions to all couples who undergo treatment at The Center for Reproductive Medicine.